Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Chapter 97: Blood and Thunder

Myotismon
 
The moon hung low in the sky; the city of Yew basked in its light. “In another few hours, the sun will rise,” I said to myself. “I’ll have to make this quick.”
I looked down at the large city from the sky and smirked, baring a single fang. I spread open my cape to signal my bats. In an instant, hundreds of bats descended, their small black bodies swirling around me as they awaited my command.
“This is a rush order, boys; I don’t care, I don’t want to know how, just wreak a little havoc on the city below. Just enough to grab the attentions of those self-righteous bastards who dare to stand against us!”
My bats complied, flying down to Yew. In no time, the streets were coated in blood. The air was filled with the screaming of the victims of my bats. My smile broadened. If this doesn’t get their attention…I don’t know what will!
Thomas Kasuto
Saias’s Villa
9 Hours
 
“What if we just get Dynasmon to blow up the entire castle for us?” Statuedramon asked. “If that castle of his caves in on him, that would save us the trouble of actually having to fight SkullCaliphmon.” We had been sitting around the living room since returning from Yew, trying to brainstorm ways to fight the remainder of the Order.
“I…guess I could ask him if he would be able to do that,” Zelda said.
“Or, we could ask him to fly us in there,” I suggested. “SkullCaliphmon’s castle doesn’t have a roof so he can remain immortal in the moon’s light; Dynasmon could just fly us down into any room that SkullCaliphmon is and fight him there. That way, Dynasmon wouldn’t be wasting all of his energy trying to destroy the castle instead of helping us destroy the Digimon that lurks within.”
“Why do I get the feeling that all of our victories over these Digimon are going to be because of those Spirit Digimon?” Statuedramon asked.
“A lot of them are Mega levels; equal in power maybe even to Apollomon and Seraphimon,” I replied.
“Yes; Gallantmon, SaberLeomon, and Dynasmon are all very strong, and since they’re Spirits, there is no way for them to die,” Zelda said. “But they still feel pain, and all the same emotions that we do. If they become badly injured while here, we must wait for them to recover before we ask for their help. And I’d feel bad, asking them to do all of this work…”
“I know. Because they are more than just powerful Digimon helping us in fights…They are our invaluable friends,” I said.
“And from the way they act, you’d think that they were all your bodyguards, Zelda,” Statch added.
“It’s because they’re all just drawn to her sweet and charming personality,” I said. Zelda’s face reddened, but she smiled as she shyly lowered her head.
“So, that’s the plan, then?” Statuedramon asked. “If Apollomon hasn’t returned by the end of next week, we’ll be going to SkullCaliphmon’s castle?” I nodded. “Can’t wait; cracking that bastard’s skull is going to be so much—” The front door swung open, nearly falling off its hinges in the process as Pheragas ran into the living room.
“Thomas…you ah going to vant to see dis,” the large man said, breathing heavily.
Great; who is it this time? Calmly, I stepped outside only to find that the pale blue sky was filled with smoke.
“Dat smoke is coming from Yew,” Pheragas said. “I don’t know vut it is, but dare is too much smoke for it to be a forest fire. It seems dat somebody is attacking de city.”
“…It’s like they’re trying to get our attention,” I said.
“In that case, it’s probably a trap,” Statuedramon said. “What are we going to do, Thomas? You going to go see what’s going on?” Zelda already stood at my side, awaiting my orders.
“I don’t see how I could not. This is what we do, after all.”
“…Ah, hell. Fine, I’ll go with you,” Statch said resignedly. “Even though it’s most definitely a trap,” he added under his breath.
“The three of us will be back soon, Pheragas,” I said.
“Do not get yourselves killed over dare,” the warrior said.
“We won’t.”
It took only ten minutes for us to find ourselves in the burning capital city. Smoke filled the air as its scent filled my nose. The streets were stained with blood. The flames that covered nearly everything in sight were gold in color. Even from more than ten feet away, I could feel their heat and intensity.
“This is Myotismon’s doing,” I said.
“YOU THREE!” A pair of baleful blue eyes gleamed through the thick, dark smoke, looking down at us from up in the sky.
“Myotismon…”
“Do you know why this is happening?” The Ultimate Digimon hovered down through the smoke, landing on top of a burning building in front of us. The golden flames reached his chest, but his body was not singed in the slightest.
“I have a feeling you wanted us to come here,” Statuedramon said.
“The reason you…killed…all of these innocent people…it was just so you could fight us, right?” Zelda asked.
“That is correct!” Myotismon’s voice thundered through the smoke-filled sky, making the golden flames surrounding him flicker menacingly. “SkullCaliphmon believes — and I do too, of course — that as soon as you are all dealt with, we will have no more problems keeping our freedom.”
“Well, Myotismon, I hope you had fun taking all of these lives,” I said. I drew my sword from its scabbard. “Because they will be the last lives you will ever take!”
“You made a big mistake, challenging us,” Statuedramon said. “With Hydramon and Belphemon down for the count, the rest of you should be significantly weaker. When we kill you…what do you think will happen to the other nine?”
“You are only an Ultimate level Digimon,” I said. “You’ll be a lot easier for us to kill than the other two.”
“SILENCE!” Myotismon yelled. “The others might only wish for their freedom, but I want something more! They may not care about having the entire continent under their thumbs, but I do! What good does our freedom do for us if we don’t spend our days doing things like this?!”
“…I get it now,” I said quietly. “The others have yet to do something like this because they want to keep the freedom they didn’t have for so long. Like SkullCaliphmon…he doesn’t want to go back to the Dark Area, so he’s just sitting in his castle…”
“I’ll have you know that SkullCaliphmon is not just sitting around!” To my surprise, Myotismon had suddenly apparated in front of me. “SkullCaliphmon is not that kind of Digimon!”
“So, what is he doing?” Statuedramon asked.
“…He…he’s…strategizing.”
“Right, well, while he’s busy ‘strategizing,’ we’re going to break into his castle and kick his bony ass back to the Dark Area.”
Myotismon looked down at the shorter Rookie. “I should tell you that I am in an extremely foul mood!” Myotismon snapped. “If we allow you three to roam free, it will severely hinder our desires!” A large hand clasped itself around Myotismon’s shoulder. The Ultimate Digimon looked up and stared into the face of Gigasmon. “…You were the one to kill me last time!”
“Me no understand how you back,” Gigasmon said. “But me make you go away again for good!”
“Crimson Lightning!” A blood-red whip appeared in Myotismon’s hand, and before Gigasmon could react, the Digimon Spirit was struck repeatedly in the face by Myotismon’s attack before vanishing. Statuedramon ran up to the taller Ultimate, furiously swinging his sword around Myotismon’s head, while the Undead Digimon deftly evaded each attack. “You’re getting on my nerves, Rookie!” Myotismon reached out and grabbed Statch’s sword mid-swing. “You’d be nothing without this weapon! I’ll take great pleasure in destroying it!”
“Fist of the Beast King!” A flaming lion’s head struck Myotismon from behind; the furious Digimon turned around, now staring down Leomon.
“Grisly Wing!” Myotismon’s attack hit Leomon square in the chest, making the Spirit fall over.
“…Geez, I’m bad at this…” Leomon looked up at Myotismon one last time before he was struck by a Crimson Lightning, making him fade away.
“Come forth, Gallantmon!” Zelda cried out. The Exalted Knight Digimon appeared next to her. “I…I’m sorry to call you up so soon after—”
“You do not need to worry,” Gallantmon said. “You may call on me anytime you wish, Zelda.” Gallantmon looked over at Myotismon. “Hear me, Myotismon! I slayed the Digimon known as Belphemon in only a few attacks! What do you think would happen if I hit a Digimon like you with the same attacks?!”
“I doubt either of us will ever find out,” Myotismon said. “Nightmare Claw!” A shadowy entity shot out of Myotismon’s hands at Gallantmon, and though the Spirit held up his shield to protect himself and Zelda, the attack turned him a sinister, gruesome shade of black.
“Gallantmon, are you okay?” Zelda asked.
“I…I’m fine…” Though the Spirit had fallen to a knee, he pointed his lance at Myotismon, firing off a blast of lightning from its tip which Myotismon was able to avoid merely by moving his head.
“Crimson Lightning!” Myotismon’s attack hit Gallantmon’s head repeatedly, soon making the Spirit vanish. Zelda rummaged through her satchel, looking for another Talisman.
“Dynasmon—” Zelda was instantly interrupted, and knocked to the ground by another of Myotismon’s Crimson Lightning attacks.
“ZELDA!” Statuedramon and I ran over to her, but we too were attacked by Myotismon. I picked myself up almost instantly and began to walk over to Zelda. But I stopped when I saw her reach over and pick something up off the ground.
“…A talisman,” she said softly.
“Crimson Lightning!” Myotismon aimed another attack at Zelda as a look of rage flashed in his eyes. I swung my blade and intercepted the attack, cutting through his whip.
“Come forth, Lobomon! Cross forth from the other realm and aid my friends in this fight!” A Digimon I’d never seen before, covered in shining white armor and matching Myotismon in height, appeared in front of Zelda.
“…This fire wasn’t here the last time I was here,” Lobomon said. Looking around, the new Digimon Spirit gazed sadly at the fire that continued to consume the city. “…I guess this means my old master’s dead now. Huh. Oh, well.”
“Lobomon…I’m sorry…I didn’t mean to—” 
“Don’t worry about it,” Lobomon interrupted. “Old boss wasn’t the nicest guy, and he didn’t call me up too much, and rarely for battle. So, how can I help you, young lady?”
“I will make you vanish!” Myotismon yelled.
“…This guy, I’m guessing?”
“If it isn’t too much trouble for you…” Zelda said. Lobomon smirked. Myotismon began flying toward the two when Lobomon jumped into the air.
“Lobo…Kendo…” Lobomon looked on as his weapon flew out of his hands, flying straight past Myotismon’s head before crashing through the window of a burning house. “Huh…Well, crap, that didn’t work.”
“…Are you freaking kidding me?!” Statch asked. “How’d you find a Digimon this clumsy?!”
“…Uh…my bad?” Lobomon asked. Myotismon suddenly appeared behind Lobomon, and punched him in the back of the head. Lobomon turned to fight back, but in doing so, he stepped on his scarf and slipped, falling to the ground. Myotismon raised an arm, about to attack once more when Lobomon jumped back up and thrust a sword through Myotismon’s arm. Myotismon fell backwards, and Lobomon pinned Myotismon’s arm to the ground. “Howling Laser!” Using the weapon on his left arm, Lobomon fired a burst of light energy through Myotismon’s back and clear through his chest. Myotismon yelled out when it happened as Lobomon removed his sword from the Ultimate’s arm. Myotismon forced himself up, looking down at the gaping, bloody hole in his chest.
“This…can’t be…happening!” Myotismon’s body began to turn back into small bits of data, to his horror. “I think I’m…I’m dying? No, this…isn’t right…I can’t…I CAN’T…No, please! Don’t…make me…go back…there…” The final bits of Myotismon’s data floated away, lost in the smoke-filled sky, with his golden flames disappearing as soon as he did.
“…My work here is done,” Lobomon said. “That was fun. Call me again whenever.”
“Thank you for your help, Lobomon,” Zelda said. Embarrassedly, Lobomon looked down and away as he glowed in a golden light, and then vanished.
“Well, that’s three down,” Statuedramon said excitedly.
“The rest will follow shortly,” I said. “Let’s go back to the villa; we need to tell Pheragas what happened.”

No comments:

Post a Comment