Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Chapter 71: The Diadem of Spiritual Balance


Thomas Kasuto

Nymphaea Province

2 Days

 

Nymphaea Province is a cold and barren province that is not too different from Cyprus Desert to the south. The blizzards there are similar to the desert’s sandstorms, only that the blizzard is constant, rather than frequent. Nymphaea, however, does not have any human population to speak of to my knowledge, and even Digimon, even ice Digimon like Frigimon, are a rare sight.

“How are you holding up?!” I asked, being forced to yell over the loud roar of the never-ending blizzard of the province.

“I’m fine!” Zelda replied. Her petite frame was bundled up in a thick, padded blue coat, and she wore a red scarf around her neck. Not used to the cold, she huddled close to me to help keep herself warm. I, of course, was feeling quite fine, having been here before with Victoria, and wore nothing in addition to my normal attire. “Are you sure you aren’t cold?!” she yelled.

“No, I feel good!” I shouted back. On numerous occasions during our trip up here, I had attempted to offer her my own coat, but she immediately refused whenever I did so.

“‘No! You’ll freeze to death! I’m surprised you haven’t frozen yet!’” I remember her saying at least fifteen times. I smiled.

Life would definitely not be the same without her, I thought, smiling down at the shivering woman as she came to an abrupt stop. “What’s wrong?”

“…I can feel this ice moving,” Zelda said. “It’s shaking…as if something’s underneath the surface…Something big…”

“This entire province is made of ice over ten miles thick,” I said. “If whatever’s down there comes up, there’s no danger of the ice breaking and us falling into the ocean. It’s probably just a Drimogemon.”

“…No…it feels too big to be a Drimogemon, and not quite as steady or smooth,” Zelda said. “Whatever it is, it’s getting closer; we should—” She was interrupted when the ice in front of us split open. I grabbed hold of her arm instantly and stepped back as an enormous, bestial Digimon climbed out of the hole formed, facing us.

“I thought I heard Human footsteps up above,” the Digimon said. “And just when I was getting ready to go home after working for so long…”

“You…you’re a Zudomon, aren’t you?” I asked. “I apologize if we’ve disturbed you—”

“Nah; you did no such thing,” Zudomon said. “I was just on my way back home after finding the Horcrux.” My heart skipped a beat.

“The…Horcrux?!” Zudomon’s eyes narrowed with suspicion.

“So…you do know what those are.” The behemothic Digimon snorted “I was wondering why Humans would come this far north…My master told me there might be Humans who know about the Horcruxes…”

“Who are you?! Who’s your master, and why are you out looking for the Horcruxes?!” I asked. Zudomon grinned.

“You know what my master told me to do? What I should do if I encounter other people who know about the Horcruxes?” Zudomon asked. “He told me…to destroy them!”

“Ah, crap…”

“Vulcan’s Hammer!” Zudomon slammed his hammer down on the ice, sending numerous jagged icicles in our direction.

“Zelda, look out!” I pushed her to the ground just before any of the icicles could hit us. The Ultimate Digimon then jabbed his left claw at us, but missed, sending snow flying everywhere. “Are you okay?”

“Yes, I’m fine,” she said. “Thank you…”

“We should get out of here,” I said frantically. “I’m not strong enough to protect you from a Digimon this big!”

“Leaving so soon?” Zudomon asked. “You’re not going to leave without this…are you?” Zudomon held out his left claw; sitting at its center was the Diadem, which gleamed and sparkled madly as if light were shining on it. Its right half was pitch black, while its left half was purest white, giving the impression that it would make it impossible to find in the snow were the black half buried or obscured from view.

“I wouldn’t ask you to fight a Digimon this dangerous,” Zelda said. “Only a Digimon could defeat another Digimon as powerful as Zudomon. Come forth, Vajramon!”

“At your service, milady,” Vajramon said, drawing his swords.

“Be careful, Vajramon!” Zelda called out, but Vajramon had already begun attacking the other Ultimate Digimon. “Vajramon! Don’t let him put that crown on you! If you do, you’ll turn—”

“Terra Blade!”

“Vulcan’s Hammer!” Vajramon’s swords made contact with Zudomon’s hammer; sparks flew through the air as steel collided with steel.

“Deva Blade!” An energy beam shot forth from Vajramon’s blades and knocked Zudomon’s hammer out of his hand before repeatedly striking the Sea Animal Digimon with his swords.

“You bastard! Enough of this!” Zudomon reached out and grabbed hold of Vajramon’s neck. “I’m late enough as it is without having to fight you!”

Vajramon ignored him and dropped his swords into the snow. The Spirit grabbed Zudomon’s arm and hurled him over his own back to the ground. Snow went flying everywhere, and Zelda and I became partially buried in the miniature avalanche that flew through the air before crashing back down to the ground when Zudomon landed.

“That ought to do it,” Vajramon said, looking down at Zudomon before the Sea Animal Digimon turned into dispersed data. “I apologize for not being more careful, milady.”

“No…that…that’s okay,” Zelda said, digging herself out of the snow as I did the same. “Thank you…We…we’re done here…”

“If that is all, then by your leave, I shall excuse myself,” Vajramon said before vanishing.

“Zelda, are you okay?” I asked once finally digging myself out of the snow. My heart skipped a few beats when I looked at her. Sitting atop her head was the Diadem. Oh, my god…how did that happen?! Zudomon must’ve dropped it when Vajramon…Oh, my god! Quickly, I reached for the Diadem and removed it from Zelda’s head. “Zelda! Are you okay?!”

“Yeah, I’m fine. Why wouldn’t I be?” she asked. Her voice sounded emotionless, almost monotoned. “What are you looking at me like that for? I’m fine!”

It…it’s already begun! My heart sank as I looked down at the Diadem in my hand; its black half almost seemed to be glowing.

It took us another three days to return back to Saias’s villa, and in that time, Zelda and I didn’t speak to each other. With each passing day, I could see her usual gentle, loving, and caring face gradually turn expressionless. By the time we arrived at the villa, she looked quite annoyed, even angry. She threw the front door of the villa open and strode inside, shoving a passing-by Chrysania to the floor. Ignoring the girl’s cry of surprise, Zelda stormed upstairs to our room and slammed the door shut behind her.

“Are you okay, Chrysania?” I asked, helping her stand up.

“Chrissy falls all the time, Tommy; she’s used to it!” the young witch replied with a huge smile on her face and an expectant look in her eyes. “So, what did you do?”

“What do you mean?”

“When girlfriends get mad, it’s usually because their boyfriends did something stupid,” Chrysania said. “So, what did you do?” By now, she was jumping up and down with anticipation.

“I didn’t do anything!”

“Yeah; that’s what they all say…”

“No, I mean…the reason she’s mad — well, I guess I wouldn’t really call it mad — well…the reason she’s like this...it’s not because of something I did…”

“Oh…does that mean she has another boyfriend that did something stupid?”

“What?! No! She doesn’t have—”

“Ooh, what a pretty crown!” Chrysania interrupted. “Is that the whore-something you two went to Nymphaea to get? I’m not supposed to wear it, right? If someone wears it, it’ll turn them evil, right?”

“Yes, Chrysania. That is exactly what will happen.”

“Thomas? Is there something you would like to tell me?” I looked behind me and saw Apollomon looking down at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment