Monday, April 11, 2016

Chapter 60: Belphemon Awakens


Michalis

Mandala City

2 Days

 

I stood nervously at the very center of Mandala City, the place where Lilithmon seemed to be most at ease. I watched her face, wondering how she would react to the news I had just delivered. “I see…so, Myotismon has been defeated as well,” Lilithmon said. “Well, I’m sure he’s pissed about that; he was always the quickest to anger of the twelve of us.”

“I apologize, milady; such a thing should not have occurred while there was something I could have done about it,” Sephyrus said. “If Myotismon is too miffed about his predicament, perhaps I could—”

“Nah, let him be pissed off; even if he was alive, I’m sure he wouldn’t be too much happier.”

“So…milady, are your preparations complete?”

“Yes; I’m ready to begin,” Sephyrus nodded. “Bio Hybrid DNA Charge! Bio Hybrid Digivolve to, BioPremenitmon!”

“Are you sure you’ll be okay without that gem?” Lilithmon asked.

“It is only a single attack I will be losing,” BioPremenitmon said, holding up his ankh. “Shadow Evolution was convenient, but losing it will in no way hinder me as I continue working with you, Lilithmon.”  Lilithmon wrapped her fingers around the vibrantly colored jewel in BioPremenitmon’s ankh and plucked it out.

“Michalis?”

“I know, I know…” My heart sank as I lifted up my left sleeve and looked at the silk cloth wrapped around my arm. Almost forgot it was there…Wonder if it’s as bad as it was the last time I checked? I sighed, beginning to unravel the cloth until it loosely fell into my hand. Lilithmon took it, ignoring the dark blood that stained it. The Silk had covered a festering welt that I had gotten when the blood of Beelzemon was injected into mine.

“What are the odds that the two of you would be in the possession of a Horcrux?!” Lilithmon asked giddily. She grasped my Jewel and Michalis’s Silk in her left hand, and stared down greedily at the two of them.

“It seems as though we are fated to prevail,” BioPremenitmon said, turning back into Sephyrus. “I was simply lucky enough to stumble upon this jewel in my youth, and I’ve kept it with me ever since.”

“That cloth has been wrapped around my arm ever since I was turned into a Bio Hybrid.” I spoke in an absent-minded voice, half-listening to the conversation as I examined my arm. “They told me that my ‘operation’ was a bit messier than others, and they used that cloth to stop the bleeding. Guess they forgot about it…” Well…I suppose it’s not nearly as gory and repugnant as it was before…At least the bleeding stopped nine years ago…

“Well, lucky for us that they did!” Lilithmon said. “This jewel is home to the soul of DeathPhantomon before his murder in Yew at the hands of Flamedramon — a different Flamedramon from the one we are familiar with, mind you — and this silk is home to the soul of Belphemon before his murder here in Mandala at the hands of Neptunemon.” 

“Rumor has it that Neptunemon lives still,” Sephyrus said.

“Really? Where?!”

“It’s rumored that he’s been frozen solid by an incredibly powerful Digimon up in Nymphaea Province.”

“Really…I wonder who could have done that,” Lilithmon mused. “Well, as long as he’s out of the way, I guess it doesn’t matter. Now, then…it’s time to revive Belphemon!”

Thomas Kasuto

Saias’s Villa

 

“What do you mean, they took the sword?!” I asked.

“I mean just dat,” Pheragas said, sitting across from us on a couch in the villa’s living room. He and BlackGaomon, who sat in Pheragas’s lap, were covered in soot and smoke, but appeared to be otherwise unharmed. Beside the two were Apollomon and Dianamon. Zelda and Statuedramon sat next to me. Luna sat in a chair nearby, and on the floor next to her lay Chrysania, sprawled out on her stomach and swinging her legs in the air.

“But…that can’t be!” Statuedramon jumped up and stood on the couch next to me. “The Bio Hybrids were on Marigold Spire; they brought back Myotismon right before we killed him! How could they have also been in Yew, taking the sword?!”

“It might not have been them,” I said. Apollomon glanced at me.

“What do you mean?” Luna asked.

“Just because a Horcrux was taken doesn’t mean it was one of the Bio Hybrids who took it,” the Mega answered. “Pheragas, you and BlackGaomon clearly heard your attacker say the word ‘Horcrux,’ didn’t you?”

“Yes; the Digimon that attacked us said that his master wanted the sword in his possession,” BlackGaomon said.

His possession?!”

“Yeah…? What’s so weird about—”

His possession,” Apollomon repeated. “The Digimon attacking you wanted the sword for his master, who he clearly stated to be male. Lilithmon is a woman.”

“Oh…”

“It’s kind of hard not to notice,” Statuedramon said in a dreamy voice.

“So that means that someone else is out gathering Horcruxes,” Dianamon said.

“And if they attacked the two of you to get it, then I doubt they have something in plan for them,” Apollomon said.

“Or us,” Pheragas added.

“Geez, this is turning into an even bigger mess than the one a two weeks ago,” Statch said.

“…Apollomon…can you think of any reason why Lilithmon would still need the Horcruxes after the souls have left them?” I asked.

“What do you mean?! They shouldn’t have any reason to keep them!”

Wow…this really is getting weird, then… I reached into my pocket, pulled out the stone that had once held Myotismon’s soul, and held it up for Apollomon to see. “After Myotismon was killed by Gigasmon…Sephyrus took the time to try and retrieve this…just like he did with the necklace.” Apollomon stared blankly at the stone. “Are you sure you can’t think of any reasons why they would still need them?” I asked.

“They…shouldn’t be of any use to her anymore…” Apollomon said.

“I can’t think of any reason, either,” Luna said.

“If they are taking the time to get the Horcruxes even when they don’t have any souls in them, it might prove wise to retrieve them before they have a chance to,” Dianamon said.

“And in the meantime, Sephyrus told us Lilithmon is already in possession of the Silk and Jewel Horcruxes,” Statuedramon said.

“The jewel…that may be DeathPhantomon,” Apollomon said. “And I’m fairly certain the silk was Belphemon’s. In Mandala, before Lilithmon’s first death, Seraphimon told me he saw a shred of Lilithmon’s sleeve float away soon after Belphemon vanished.”

“Then that means Belphemon was killed in Mandala!” Statuedramon exclaimed. “And that’s where Lilithmon and the Bio Hybrids are right now! And that means she could be bringing Belphemon back right now!”

“How powerful was Belphemon back in the old days?” I asked. “Did the friend of yours who killed Belphemon ever tell you that much?”

“Let me think…Neptunemon told me that Belphemon had held him off for quite a bit until he had finally one,” Apollomon said. “Belphemon is a Digimon large and powerful enough to strike down entire mountains with a single swing of his arms, but is usually too busy napping to actually do it.”

“So, he’s lazy, is he?” Statch asked. “Guess we don’t have to hurry, then.”

“I wouldn’t be too sure,” I said.

“On the contrary,” Apollomon interrupted. “When Belphemon actually is awake, he is a wrathful and destructive being; in fact, it was partly because of him that Mandala is now on the bottom of the ocean. It is advised that you leave as soon as possible, Thomas, and if possible, stop Belphemon from being brought forth from the Dark Area in the first place. Like, now.”

“What?! We have to go to the bottom of the ocean?! Again?!” Statch wined.

“Irene led me to a shortcut to Mandala in Yew when we went to kill Lilithmon last time,” I said. “It’s really close by; we should get there in about ten minutes.” And maybe…Michalis will be there…I’ll have to be prepared for the possibility of not just fighting him, but…killing him…Victoria’s son…

“Go as soon as you are ready,” Apollomon said. “And do not let Belphemon walk this earth again!”

Sephyrus

Mandala City

10 Minutes

 

“Boy, this sure is taking a while,” Michalis said. He yawned in boredom as he looked around the sunken city. “How come the others didn’t take this long?”

“It has to do with the ancient language Lilithmon is reciting,” I said. “In the ancient language, Belphemon’s name is almost one hundred syllables.”

One hundred?! That’s fucking insane!” the boy’s jaw dropped. “I can see why that language is dead!”

“Conversely, the word meaning ‘antidisestablishmentarianism’ is only two syllables.”

“…Is there anything else I should know about the language?”

“Do not fear, Michalis; it will not be required of you to learn this language,” I laughed.

“It is complete!” Lilithmon’s voice echoed throughout the ancient city. Beneath the shred of Lilithmon’s sleeve that lay on the floor, a black hole appeared, and from it emerged the claws of an enormous Digimon. Soon, its head was in sight, and before too long, the rest of it. Belphemon stood, towering over the three of us. It seemed as though he were panting from exhaustion, though to me, it sounded more like roaring. “Behold; the triumphant return of the most powerful of my Digimon allies; Belphemon!”

“Enough of the idle chattering,” Belphemon said. “What’s for dinner?”

“Damn it, we’re too late!” I turned around, seeing Thomas, Zelda, and Statuedramon standing above a blue tile and gaping at Belphemon’s colossal figure.

“I was hoping we’d be able to avoid this,” Thomas said.

“Those three are the ones who killed me a week ago,” Lilithmon said. “They will do for now, won’t they?”

“Oh, good; I love the taste of Humans!” Belphemon greedily stared at Thomas and Zelda. “Especially the girls!”

“Bon appétit, dear Belphemon. We’re off to free another of our allies,” Lilithmon said. “Sephyrus, Michalis; with me! We’re going to Yew!”

“Yes, milady,” I said. Michalis and I quickly ran after her, with a roar from Belphemon being the last thing I heard before stepping on a different blue tile, headed for Mandala.

No comments:

Post a Comment