Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Chapter 56: The Skeleton King


Sephyrus

Cyprus Desert

9 Hours

 

It was nearing midnight by the time the swirling sands of Cyprus Desert came into view. It was a cloudless night, and the moon was nearly full. Lilithmon stopped walking instantly, and looked up at the sky.

“Soon…very soon, the first of my friends will be freed from the Dark Area,” Lilithmon said. Her skin and clothes were still stained with Irene’s blood, if one looked closely enough, though she didn’t seem to be bothered by it.

“Forgive my ignorance, Mother, but how exactly are you going to free anyone from the Dark Area?” Michalis asked. “They’re dead…dead, and gone forever…”

“I was sent to the Dark Area, but I came back to you, my son,” Lilithmon said patiently. “You know what a Horcrux is, don’t you?”

“Yeah…a little while ago, Sephyrus told me it holds a very small portion of the soul of a Human or a Digimon.”

“Correct…as the one who created these Horcruxes, I am able to use the Horcrux to call forth the Digimon in the Dark Area who has their soul trapped within the Horcrux in question, but only once. Once I have brought them back, the portion of their soul that lies resting in the Horcrux will join with the remainder of the Digimon’s soul, leaving me unable to bring the Digimon back again should he or she be killed — unless, of course, I make another Horcrux for them. The little details are of no concern to you, dear child…”

“Yes, ma’am…”

“Do you have any other questions before I begin?”

“…Just one…how come we had to come all the way to Cyprus Desert to free this Digimon? Couldn’t you have brought him back from anywhere?”

“Unfortunately, no…the Cyprus Desert was where SkullCaliphmon was killed…that is why we must be here...though I was never sure why that was a necessity for this spell. Now, if that is all the questions, I would like to begin. If anyone attempts to intervene, stop them at all costs!”

“Understood, Milady,” I said.

“Yeah, sure,” Michalis said.

“Very good.” Lilithmon placed the necklace into the sands of Cyprus and closed her eyes. She began speaking in a quiet, mumbling voice.

“What is she saying?” Michalis whispered to me.

“It’s an ancient language, one from over 500 years ago, so it’s even older than I am,” I replied. “I’m afraid I don’t know what it is she’s saying. I never took the time to learn it…”

Thomas Kasuto

 

“Oh, no…we’re too late! She’s already started!” Apollomon said quietly. To my surprise, there were a few trees that were a part of Lotisea Province nearby for us to hide behind. “We have to do something…before she conjures up a Digimon from the Dark Area!”

“Well, then, let’s go and stop her!” I whispered back. Apollomon nodded, and the two of us stepped out from behind the trees and over to the evil Mega Digimon. Michalis and Sephyrus watched silently as we did.

“There is no way for you to emerge victorious,” Sephyrus said. The [LSF3] calm man pulled out his gray Digivice and placed a hand over it. “Bio Hybrid DNA Charge! Bio Hybrid Digivolve to, BioPremenitmon!”

“You are too late! Mother will summon forth all her friends from the Dark Area…and there’s nothing you can do about it!” Michalis grabbed his Digivice, and did the same as Sephyrus. “Bio Hybrid DNA Charge! Bio Hybrid Digivolve to, BioBeelzemon!”

 “Fools; you mean to face the one and only Apollomon in combat?! Is it your aim to die?! Or have you forgotten that I killed BioBlackWarGreymon all by myself?!” Apollomon asked.

“…He does have a point,” BioBeelzemon said.

“If you wish to back down, suit yourself,” BioPremenitmon said. “I, however, fully intend to obey the orders given to me!”

Thomas[LSF4] , stand back while I fight these two; that’s an order! Solblaster!”

Reluctantly, I jumped back out of the way and watched the fight around me.

“Shadow Evolution; Aquarimon! Goddess Urn!” Aquarimon summoned forth a huge eruption of water from her vase that doused the flames of Apollomon’s attack.

“You…you dare mock me by turning into my friend?! The friend that you murdered?! I’ll fucking kill you! Phoebus…” Apollomon raised his arm and prepared to attack, but when he looked down, his arm began trembling, and his fist unclenched itself.

“Apollomon…please…don’t h-hurt me,” Aquarimon said, tears streaming down her face. “I’m sorry…please, don’t…hate me…for what I’ve done…”

“…I…Irene…” Apollomon’s raised arm fell limply to his side. I, too, felt taken aback at the sight of the Digimon that greatly resembled Irene.

“Darkness Claw!” BioBeelzemon rammed into the dumbstruck Apollomon, knocking him down to the ground.  Apollomon tried to move, but BioBeelzemon slammed his boot on the side of the Mega’s face. “You’re about to get what you deserve, Apollomon! Double—”

“—And now, the ritual is complete!” Lilithmon shouted from a few feet away. “SkullCaliphmon, I call to you from the other side! Join us, and put an end to the lives of the miserable wretches who murdered the eleven of us!” The necklace began emitting a pale blue light, and the sands around it began swirling madly in the air. Lilithmon began laughing maniacally as a black hole formed under the necklace, and a skeletal arm reached up from the circle. The arm pulled its body the rest of the way out, and standing before us was a rather tall, cloaked, skeletal Digimon holding an enormous, two-bladed sword, the likes of which I have never seen.

“I am free!” the Digimon said.

“…Unbelievable…a Digimon from the Dark Area,” BioBeelzemon said, his tone of voice giving away the fact that he was obviously impressed. “Mother…you really are something else, conjuring a Digimon like this…”

“I’m not just any Digimon; I’m SkullCaliphmon, an ancient king of the desert sands; lord of the desert breeze!” SkullCaliphmon said.

“‘Lord of the Desert Breeze?’ That doesn’t sound very impressive…”

“Careful, now; even the gentlest breeze has the potential to become a raging hurricane, capable of smashing through solid rock!”

“…Whatever you say, Your Majesty,” BioBeelzemon smirked.

“SkullCaliphmon, it is wonderful to see you again,” Lilithmon said. “That is, good to see you alive, and not in the Dark Area!”

“Oh, Lilithmon, I’m always dead! I’m a skeleton, remember? By the way, I saw your…glorious return from death…when you popped out of that rather cute Human girl. It was kind of icky…a little too much blood and gore for my taste. I don’t really like icky and creepy things,” the skeleton said. “Now, remember; the two of us are not as strong as you’d like for us to be.”

“What do you mean?”

“Our power comes from the lives of all twelve of us. Our lives, Lilithmon, and nine of us are still not alive. As we are now, even a Human could kill us!” SkullCaliphmon laughed to himself. “As I am sure you are well aware…”

“…Right. I’ll have to remember that…”

“Now, who is that that your crony steps on?” SkullCaliphmon pointed at BioBeelzemon.

“That’s Apollomon,” BioBeelzemon said.

“Really? The Apollomon? The ruler of Lachesis? That Apollomon?” SkullCaliphmon looked down at the struggling Mega. “You, BioBeelzemon, and you, BioPremenitmon!” SkullCaliphmon looked at the two Bio Hybrids. “You two boneheads stand down! I haven’t killed anyone in a few hundred years; I want to make sure I haven’t lost my touch!”

“Yes, sir,” BioPremenitmon, still in the form of Aquarimon, immediately turned back into Sephyrus. BioBeelzemon reverted back to his Human form without another word. In an instant, Apollomon was back on his feet, standing face-to-face with SkullCaliphmon.

“Don’t be too depressed if I defeat you; I used to be quite powerful,” SkullCaliphmon said.

“I could say the same to you, except that I still am powerful,” Apollomon retorted. SkullCaliphmon whistled, looking impressed.

“Bold words, o mighty one! Let’s see if you live up to your reputation, then! If you lose, you’ll look like quite the bone-afied blowhard!”  SkullCaliphmon began laughing to himself.

“…Your puns are terrible, as I’m certain your fighting skills are,” Apollomon said. “Whatever; let’s get this over with!” Apollomon clenched his fists, and SkullCaliphmon swung his blade effortlessly through the air. Instinctively, I reached for mine, but I stopped myself.

Apollomon told me to wait here…Apollomon ordered me to wait here while he dealt with them…But there’s no way he can win! He still hasn’t fully recovered from when Lector stabbed him in the hip.

“Arrow of Apollo!”

“Grave Danger!” SkullCaliphmon raised his hand, with his palm upwards, and a giant tombstone emerged from the sand. Apollomon’s attack hit the tombstone, which then crumbled back into sand. “Now, dance, my tombs! Dance!” SkullCaliphmon began waving his enormous sword around in the air as if it were a conductor’s baton; countless tombs popped out of the sand and begun flying in the air around Apollomon. Every now and then, one of them would crash into him, shattering into a few jagged stones that would cut through his skin, and even his Phoebus Blow attack was strong enough to protect him. “Well? What do you think, mighty one? Am I strong or what?!”

“Solblaster!” The sphere of flames on Apollomon’s back spread itself out, enveloping all of the flying tombs in their flames and making them melt. “You’ve picked the wrong Digimon to fight, SkullCaliphmon!”

“I was just thinking that of you, Apollomon! Crossfire Hurricane!” SkullCaliphmon began swing his sword in a circle, and Apollomon’s flames followed suit. They began to form a ring of fire around Apollomon, leaving him in the middle of them. SkullCaliphmon then brought the blades of his sword down into the sand, making the flames swirl around the sky as a single stream of fire. The skeletal Digimon then pointed at Apollomon, and the flames struck Apollomon directly in the chest. “So, now what do you think? That attack has absolute command over wind, and it can even be used to manipulate flames like yours! If anything, you chose the wrong opponent!” Apollomon didn’t reply; he was screaming in pain and agony as he was burned by his own flames. The flames soon vanished, and Apollomon was left, brought down to one knee and covered in minor burns with steam flying off his body. He glared up at the opposing Mega level, and tore his bandages off from around his waist, throwing them to the side.

Apollomon…I’m sorry, but it looks like I’m going to have to disobey your orders again!

“I’m not…finished yet,” Apollomon said between labored breaths, as if he had read my mind.

“Well, then, by all mean; show me what else you’re capable of!” SkullCaliphmon cackled.

“Phoebus Blow!”

“Sirocco Sword!” Apollomon stood up, but he was forced back down once again when SkullCaliphmon swung his sword, striking him multiple times across the face, chest, and stomach. “Even a fire Digimon like yourself can’t help but scream in pain when struck with this sword, which strikes as painfully and sharply as the scorching sirocco wind, capable of reaching speeds as fast as a hurricane!” Apollomon raised a trembling arm and clenched his fist, preparing an Arrow of Apollo attack. “Sirocco Sword!” SkullCaliphmon swung his sword in the air once again, and Apollomon was knocked over onto his back by an unseen force. “See? I don’t even have to make contact, and this sword can still kick some major bony ass!”

“Excellent job, SkullCaliphmon,” Lilithmon said.

“What are you talking about? I’m not even finished with him yet! Sirocco Sword!” SkullCaliphmon brought his enormous sword downward towards Apollomon’s neck. I ran as fast as I could up to the skeletal Digimon, and sighed with relief when I saw that SkullCaliphmon’s sword made contact with mine, rather than Apollomon. “You…I remember you…You were in Mandala when Lilithmon was killed for the second time! I saw you get killed, meatbag! What are you doing still walking around?” SkullCaliphmon asked.

“He was wearing the necklace,” Lilithmon replied. “Your Horcrux.”

“My Horcrux…The Immortal Necklace…Well, I suppose that makes sense…Horcruxes infused with the soul of a Digimon gives whoever is in possession of that Horcrux any special abilities they have…I am immortal during special circumstances. I wonder if those circumstances apply to whoever wears the necklace.”

“…You said you were weak enough for a Human to kill you,” I said.

“Yes; the only reason Apollomon wasn’t able to do so was because I was able to perfectly counter his attacks,” SkullCaliphmon said. “I am weaker without all twelve of us here, and perhaps even you could easily kill me, Human.”

“Don’t be ridiculous! There’s no way this…kid could defeat you!” Lilithmon said.

“…We shall see,” SkullCaliphmon said. The opposing Mega Digimon raised his sword and swung it at my head, barely missing it by a few inches. “Huh…this bonehead’s pretty fast. I like that! Makes the hunt that much more enticing! Keep running, being of flesh; make this game of cat and mouse as enjoyable as possible!”

“If it truly does take a Human to kill someone like you, then I shall do everything in my power to do so!” SkullCaliphmon threw his blade, narrowly missing my head once again. His sword kept flying through the air until it found its way into a tree of Lotisea Province several feet away.

“Damn it! Now my…frickin’ sword’s…stuck! This is why I hate frickin’ forests!”

Perfect! Hopefully…this will kill him! I ran up to the Mega Digimon and stabbed him in the side of his skull.

“…You…boner…” SkullCaliphmon brought his hand to the side of his head where my sword had struck, and several cracks had begun to form on his head. In a matter of seconds, his skeletal body dissolved and crumbled into dust, leaving his crown, cloak, and sword behind as his dust mixed into the sands of Cyprus Desert. Lilithmon stared, pale-faced and wide-eyed as I wiped the remnants of SkullCaliphmon off my blade.

You…what…WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST DO?!” Lilithmon shrieked.

“You can keep trying to bring your friends back from the Dark Area all you like; you will never prevail,” I said.

“That was…a job well done, Thomas,” Apollomon said as I helped the Mega Digimon stand up.

“DAMN YOU BOTH!” Lilithmon ran toward us, her right claw extended.

“Solblaster!” Apollomon threw a scorching orb that hit Lilithmon in the middle of her stomach, burning through her shirt and searing her skin.

“Milady, we must retreat for now,” Sephyrus said, bending down to pick up the partially buried necklace. “You cannot waste any more energy dealing with these fools.”

“…Fine. We must hurry and find the next Horcrux!” Lilithmon, protectively placing her left hand over her belly to cover the relatively minor burn, turned and ran off, with Michalis and Sephyrus close behind.

“Should we go after them, sir?” I asked.

“No…you would be unable to defeat all three of them by yourself, and I would be of no help to you as I am now,” Apollomon said. “Let’s return to the villa…I’m sure the others are wondering where we are, and I’m certain Zelda misses you. When we get back…I’ll tell you everything.”

No comments:

Post a Comment